Sure, I'll admit it: I never seem to finish anything.
But it worries me how frequently this occurs. All too often I will cut off a narrative after enduring a "prolonged" writer's block, not every piece of clothing in my closet will be neatly ironed before sleep claims my body, I've got a "to-be-continued" painting from my junior (or was it sophomore?...) year, and I can't seem to get through an entire novel by myself anymore without the temptation of my dear friend, Sparknotes.
Although a lot these may just simply be trivial matters, I have found that they mirror my behaviors with the more essential aspects of my life too. I will have a great idea, and even work towards the goal, but it just seems like a time comes when it somehow gets pushed aside. I admit that a lot of the time they are due to circumstances outside of my own hands, but does that give me justification to put them aside because it's convenient at the time?
It is even more frustrating to me when I have put so much time and energy into something, and end up having to throw it together recklessly for whatever reason. And who actually wants to present something that they know they could have done better? I want to do everything that I do with a sort of unmeasured excellence and unyeilding pursuit.
I have a few dreams and I have no doubt that they will require a lot of effort to accomplish. I also have no doubt that a lot of you can say the same. I don't want to allow anything to get in the way of these dreams, especially myself. So that's why I want to do something with this, I really would like to be proactive and follow through on things. I might as well get in the habit of it now so that it will be put into motion as I continue to grow.
So here's my idea: I'd like to accomplish (and do so to the best of ability) three/four "projects" before I graduate. They won't necessarily be over-the-top-remarkable, and certainly not unattainable, but honest and realistic goals. There is an age old saying that says,
"Begin with the end in mind."
1. MAKE something- Use my hands to create something meaningful.
2. DO something- Physically partake in something that I never have before.
3. SAY something- Use my speech to articulate something that speaks to me.
I have no idea where this will go, and I hope it'll actually have great meaning and help me grow. For anyone who'd like to join me, you are more than welcome to. If anything, I CHALLENGE you. It will be a challenge for me in itself, but I will share with you each of these and see where it takes me.
Sonia! I'm always blown away by your writing, okay? I just wanted to let you know that! AND I think I will join in on this! Want to know something crazy? Jesseca and I were talking about this exact same thing at WinterBlast and the verse that says: "do everything as if you're doing it unto God" was brought to us. Isn't that crazy? Do EVERYTHING as if it were unto Him. I take on the challenge!
ReplyDeleteSonia, you're amazing. Be encouraged to finish what you start! Persevere.
ReplyDelete