Sounds like a lot, huh? Sounds even greater when it's written out: one billion, two hundred thirty-three million, six hundred eighty-eight thousand, three hundred twenty.
Last week my mom decided that she wanted to thank God for each and every breath she has taken. And on top of that, she would like to thank Him for all the breaths she will take in her life as well. So we got to computing; the CIA World Factbook averages that the life expectancy in the US is 78.24 years (2010 estimate). As there are 31,536,000 seconds in a year, and assuming that:
a) we live to be at least 78.24 years old
b) leap years are for squares (thus they are ignored)
c) a "breath" is a combined inhale/exhale, taking about 2 seconds
d) the world does not spin any faster...
my mom will have to thank God for every breath over 1.2 billion times.
And yet, that still wouldn't be enough to even begin to satisfy all the thanks that God deserves. Each breath is another moment that we cannot warrant--not a right, but a priviledge. There is not one thing we could ever do to substantiate ourselves, or be entitled to another breath. We live by grace alone; God's unmerited favor.
I once read that "Justice is getting what we deserve,
Mercy is not getting what we deserve, and
Grace is getting what we do not deserve."
I am beyond thankful that my God is just, merciful, and full of grace (to name a few of His never-ending qualities). Although I cannot thank Him enough, but it doesn't mean I will not try.
I know normally prayer is the subject of this following quote, but I feel as though it is interchangeable:
"I do not thank God for hours at a time, but not an hour goes by that I do not thank God"
Oh Sonia this is such a beautiful post. And very humbling. There is so much to thank God for! Incredible. Incredible.
ReplyDeleteIncredible.
That 1.2 billion phrase gave me chills. Oh, God. We're so unworthy, I've actually been thinking about that a lot lately.
ReplyDeleteSonia, Beautiful! ahh I LOVE YOUR mommy, she is so amazing which truly explain what an amazing daughter she has!
ReplyDeleteIt gave me chills too thinking of ALL HE DOES and continues to do! I air hug you everytime I read your posts. You're words bring so much joy to me!
LOVE YOU!
I love this, Sonia. I agree with Syd, it's humbling and so beautiful at the same time.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! When someone asked Smith Wigglesworth how much time he spent praying his answer was "I only pray 15 minutes at a time, but I don't ever go 15 minutes without praying!" Amazing!
ReplyDeletewow. Sonia that is AWESOME! When you really think about it. AWESOME and so encouraging, thank you!
ReplyDelete~morgie
i awarded you sonia! Check out my post from January 23!
ReplyDelete~Morgan