Thursday, March 3, 2011

It is written...

I am so incredibly blessed to have spent the the last few days up in Colorado Springs for the DECA State Competition at the Broadmoor Resort! The beauty and atmosphere of it all is always so much to embrace that at times I didn't even know what to do with myself.


During my trip I told myself that I didn't plan on leaving without God revealing something to me. It didn't matter if it was something He's taught me before, or an entirely brand new lesson, I just wanted to be able to fully grasp whatever it was that He would choose to share on my trip... anything He found necessary for my being at this point in time.


I continued to pray for Him to take me deeper...

And to develop new understandings...

And appreciate beauty of all sorts...

But for the longest time I felt nothing.

Going to State was essentially my goal for competing this season for DECA. I attended last year and had an incredible time, however did not place or "make it to the stage" among the 3000 competitors from all across Colorado that attend the State conference. So as a senior I had my mind set on qualifying for State once again, and being content with just that.

After the actual competition day rolls around, just about everyone has their stomach in knots with anticipation to find out whether or not they will be receiving an honorable mention, or sucessfully moving towards competing once more as a finalist in their division, and then possibly beating out the remaining finalists to qualify for the International Career & Development Conference (aka Nationals).

The day of awards I soon became one of those children twisting and turning nervous to hear what my 'fate' held. Feeling somewhat confident in my event, I hoped to achieve an honorable mention so that I might make it to the stage for an award, but wouldn't have to continue competing. I don't know, in a way it was somewhat easier to think that I would not have to move forward and give all of myself into a presentation.

The first 'mini' awards session began at 7 am on a Tuesday morning (so you can only guess how early I had to wake up in order to shower, get dressed, prepare my materials, and meet with my chapter by 6:15). It was here that I found out that I would be among eight finalists in my event to compete again within the next few hours. Oh joy... And it's amazing too, the process was so incredibly trying. Not the competing portion itself, but several circumstances came about in which: my scheduled times were delayed, no authority figure in charge of the conference could provide me with information when I asked--I was even treated very poorly by a few of those individuals, and I was tired.

Yet nonetheless, after two hours of waiting in the competition area with adults who wouldn't give me the time of day, I finally competed. And I felt satisfied with my efforts.

Later on that day a few members from my school decided to go on a 'nature walk' around the hotel. I was speaking to a few girls as we walked then stopped to take the picture you see to your left. One of the girls I was talking with described how nervous she was at the morning awards ceremony and how she holds her breath and clenches her fists in hopes that she might become a finalist. And I replied something like "It's kind of crazy because it's all already been written." And then I smiled because it was all so clear to me... I continued to share how humorous it is that we all seem to get so hyped up and anxious as if we can do something that might change the outcome of the results we're about to hear. When really, the results are already in, they've already been decided on--we've just got to be patient to receive them...

Ironic enough, thinking about the fact that all of my anxiousness and fretting was in vain brought me a sense of peace. It is so settling to know that once something has been done, why continue dwelling on it when the answers are already in motion?

I know I've spoken with a few of you about this: our God is a humorous one. He works in ways to realistically show you what He knows you need. Sometimes with a bit of struggle, other times with a bit of silence, and even with a gentle push He will continue to give you something when you ask for it.

So how did the competition end up? I took fourth in my division, Professional Selling, and am qualified to compete at Nationals this April/May in Orlando!

My beautiful friend Jackie and I!
God, I won't settle for what I'm comfortable with, and am beyond thankful that You've already got it all written and handled.

4 comments:

  1. Sonia, you gave me chills.. And, Congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonia, I am soooo proud of you girl!
    Reading this, it also reminded me that God already has our future written out, so instead of always dwelling on it and trying to figure out what all he has planned we just need to lean back and trust his mighty plan for our lives, which is soo very hard to do at times (especially me, bcuz im constantly asking God about my future) But at the moment, it gives me peace bcuz the dreams that you and I have are already written out and they were even before we were in our Mothers womb, God's plan does not change! I love you so much Sonia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow good job! And your pictures are amazing!!!
    ~Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  4. So P.S. I too got goosebumps reading this post! I just knew (at your LOVELY fashion show) that you would be going to nationals, like no joke God whispered in my ear when your deca teacher (the one who said she's the brains the other one is the hotty) as soon as she said the stuff about raising funds for nationals in Florida God told me, "she's going to be there" I then literally turned to Tanisha and said, "Oh so Sonia's going to nationals too?" she said, "ummm i'm not sure" I said, "Oh yeah? She's definitely going" Isn't that awesome?!?

    I really super like that you just realized, "oh yeah it's written" It truly is completely there and we just have to listen and make the right decision for the path he leads us so we don't stray! Gosh I love that man Jesus! He's a rock!

    Love you gurrrl Fran!!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...