Saturday, May 14, 2011

Looking Up, Back, and Over


Hello friends! I apologize for the absence... it really amazes me that despite the fact I am on Blogger numerous times daily, I post only a few times a month! Well, at least most recently, my lack of commenting and reading others' posts was because of my trip to Orlando for DECA's International Career & Development Conference (aka Nationals!) that I mentioned here a few posts ago.

To the right is our group at the airport! It helped that we were all incredibly bright!

When we compete at the National level we are required to wear an official DECA blazer. So I tried to make myself as distinct as one possibly can at a conference of 15,000 students who all look the same!
A week's worth of internet service was a 'lil too costly, so it was a bit rough making it through the week! Anyways it was a lovely trip and it definitely taught me a lesson on character! I made good friends with so many different individuals I would have never thought I'd be having dinner conversations with. I recall sitting there are laughing with new friends and thinking in the back of my mind, will it still be the same when we see each other at school? Or will this just be another one of those situations where all of the great things that occured seem to no longer exist? Fortunately enough, the relationships I built there have proven my subconsciousness wrong! :)

On one of the first few days there our group took a trip to Universal Studios, and after our first day at the park we looked up to the sky to see such a marvelous sight!:



The pilot/skywriter had not yet finished when I took the picture, but the top phrase became "U + God = :)" and right under all that was still visible was "Invite Jesus in & see God"... Whatever it ended with I'm sure it still drew up so many conversations. I love seeing someone's boldness shown out in a creative way!

So this past week I received one of the best surprises I have ever gotten (perhaps I don't surprised very often!) My second grade teacher sent each of the students in my class our class picture and left a sweet note on the back! He also included a few different letters from his current students asking me questions and sharing some of their favorite moments from second grade.



So of course, I cried when I opened up the envelope and saw what was inside. Couldn't really say why, it just happened, but it definitely was not a bad experience! And it's so strange too, in one week's time I've encountered so much of my old school days! I also spoke with my fourth grade teacher at a current teacher's book release, recognized an old classmate I hadn't seen in eight years while in line at a drive-thru, accidentally stumbled across a bunch of photos from my sixth graduation! All in one week's time!

Finally, my last day of classes were on Thursday! My parents were so thoughtful in leaving a beautiful bouquet for me on Friday morning. I am beyond blessed.



The signature-frame you see on the left is one of the gifts our seniors in Student Leadership received from the lowerclassmen. We had our banquet on Thursday evening where we enjoyed eachother's company together formally for the last time and passed down legacies (particular events that we chaired). I am so thankful to have grown up being a part of this, and feel SO priviledged to have gotten to observe, learn from, and eventually impact all of the different people I have met through Leadership.

These past few week have been so incredible, and I am so thankful for each and every little thing that has made it so!

1 comment:

  1. How sweet it is to have such memories! I will always treasure every little teeny detail that has made me who I am. I love to read your posts, Sonia...they're always so well-written, sweet and thoughtful. And P.S. I miss you too! It has been too long since I had a Sonia Hug.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...