![]() |
| photo by me |
"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets [...] to be honored by others. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."~V. 2-4
"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." ~V. 6
"When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show other they are fasting [...] But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who sees what is done in secret, and [He] will reward you." ~V. 16-18
Lately, I've been seeing "righteous" being referred to with two different connotations:
1) "Righteous" in the sense of being moral in character--or in the scope of the Christian faith--being in right standing with God's word and living a life of holiness
2) "Righteous" as to where actions taken are to validate your holiness
{Now, this might become a tricky subject. . .so I will attempt to write with care}
I recognize that the righteousness I refer to in the latter description should probably be better defined as "self-righteous," but I've found that society today has easily blended these two together, and possibly rightly so.
Our pursuits of righteousness should always be fervent and desired, but it should be done in that secret place Jesus repeatedly spoke of in Matthew chapter six. The very first verse even opens with this: "Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them."
Does that mean that we cannot love on the Lord in public? Of course not! He delights when we proclaim His name! It's kind of funny to me because I believe a truly humble person can (and should) be able to admit their humility. Regardless of its actuality, no one has the right to judge another about their righteousness. We'll leave that to the Big Guy.
So where do we draw the line? I don't think I can exactly speak to that, expect for through the word.
Humble hearts seek to neither show nor tell of their righteousness. That - the righteousness as the Lord intended - goes without a status update, tweet, or appearance in front of an audience.
Righteousness speaks for itself.

"Humble hearts do not seek to neither show nor tell of their righteousness. That--the righteousness as the Lord intended--goes without a status update, tweet, or appearance in front of an audience.
ReplyDeleteRighteousness speaks for itself.
To whom? To your Father, who will reward you."
piercing words right thereeeeeee!!!