Friday, March 29, 2013

Richness

Johanne Våge -
via
"Life is much too Rich to taste alone."

Heard someone speak something more or less similar to this  concept yesterday evening and it's been on my mind ever since. The kind of richness we refer to here is not one of a monetary nature, but rather that of love, peace, joy, contentment, laughter, etc. In practical terms, however, whenever I think of something "rich" I naturally think of dark chocolate. I am a strong advocate for all things chocolate, but, even more, semi-sweet dark chocolate has a special place in my heart. However, as much as I love dark chocolate, I cannot consume too much at a time; it's flavor is just so rich that I cannot even handle it all to myself, even if I wanted to (and you betcha I'd want to).

Looking back on this quote, my first thought was that the statement was boundlessly beautiful. Yet, I soon began to wonder if this is a feeling that is only easily accepted at moments (or even seasons) of happiness. Would this ideal still be as favorable for a mother who recently lost a child? Or maybe it's a young man in need of food . . . would he agree to this "rich" feeling in life. Perhaps these individuals would cast this off as a cliched sentiment reserved for the naive.

Tonight I attended a documentary screening of a non-profit organization in support of producing sustainable business opportunities for communities in third-world countries, an organization called Uhuru Child (please please please check out the 7fifty documentary here when you get the chance). It shows the story of a young lady named Monicah rediscovering community and joy after experiencing torment brought from political turmoil in Kenya. I wondered how this woman would think of life being "Rich" after experiencing more than we may ever even imagine at the tender age of fifteen.

After meditating on this for a little longer tonight I've realized that Monicah's encounter with Richness was just in another form; for some time her life was Rich in a flavor that was unpleasant and filled with distraught. The taste was unfavorable, but Rich nonetheless. A rich taste, like chocolate, refers to something thick, potent, and strong. Dark chocolate even goes so far as being both entirely bitter and simultaneously sweet. Though we'd like to assume that its flavor will always be sweet and pleasant, that is not always the case.

Yet, whatever that case may be, we are never alone along the journey; Monicah's experiences were, indeed, much too Rich to taste alone. Fortunately, we always have a hope in the good news: we are never alone.

"Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as you have: for he has said, I will never leave you, nor forsake you." ~ Hebrews 13:5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts...