Saturday, January 8, 2011

There Isn't Room Enough to Contain

Would you rather have your glass half empty, or half full? And nope, this isn't a post about optimism.

A few days ago I came across an image of several glasses of milk fashioned similarly to the glasses you see to your left; one was empty, another glass at midpoint, and the last full to the rim. The only difference was that the middle glass displayed a thin film of milk about a half inch tall above the remaining liquid. You know what I mean? The residue that remains on the side of the glass after it's been drank up a bit?

This illustration immediately got me thinking. Life always seems so great when we're filled up. Everything is going smooth, we've got the joy of the Lord bubbling up inside our bellies waiting to be shared, and we yearn to understand God at a greater level. Those are the seasons where our fervency seems to peak to soaring altitudes and the impossible becomes very much possible. Yet whether we like it or not (or maybe it's just me) there comes a point in time where we find ourselves descending the mountain to a much lower place. We get poured out without any warning. Situation and circumstances take a toll and leave us feeling empty as we question if our experiences on that mountain were real.

So where's the hope?

The line of film. Regardless of each circumstance, the film proves that something was once there. A piece of tangile evidence that ought to remind us that truth is right there waiting. I don't know if the remnant is of the faith we carried so strong, or joy, or maybe peace, perhaps love, but at our lowest point it hasn't left us. It's still there and a constant reminder of what we can have unending. And you know what? God hasn't left us. In fact, He's always been there.

We have to make the decision to strive for more. I remember Sydney would always say, "How much do you want it?" So really, how much do you want it??

Milk curdles; when left stagnant in the same position for long it begins to harden and lose its fluidity. It can transform itself from a pure white, uniform substance into coagulated yellow chunks of nastiness (for lack of a better term). But who said a glass can't be washed out clean? If anything, it takes being drank up to the last drop for us to crave for more of God in our lives. I'd rather even allow God to take my every last drop than be half full and congealing by the hour. God even said He would rather us be completely for or against Him rather than 'inbetween' otherwise He will "vomit you out of My mouth" (Rev. 3:16, NKJV).

I feel like we should add one more glass to the mix. One that is overflowing, and constantly being filled. Even when it's drank up a bit there's the Filler standing over pouring out more, more, more.

Let's make a mess. Maybe it'll spash on everything around it.

"...See if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it."- Malachi 3:10 (NIV)

5 comments:

  1. There is not one person who doesn't need to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to the above comment. Thank you so much, Sonia! You are absolutely brilliant (holy spirit inspired, of course). I loved this, and the fact that you took insight from a set of cups and wrote something that seriously encouraged me just shows what the bible says about being spiritually minded and how it brings life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soniers THis was amazing!! I just love you so much!! I get so much joy and happiness every time I see you....this time hear you (I literally heard you speaking this) I loved the water!! I want more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true! Thank you Sonia! And God is always there and he can always give us more we have to be willing to go through the pruning though! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...